Skip to main content

116-117/365: Spooky Spider and White Balance

Here we have two posts in one. I went out with my team last night and got back too late to spend much time on the 365 project. Luckily my lovely husband was willing to step into the frame.
f/1.8; 1/125; ISO 1600
This is Spooky Spider. He is a much loved new addition to our Halloween decorations. He has a adorable little friend - Spooky Bat. I will try to catch a shot of him tomorrow. 

f/1.8; 1/125; ISO 1600

Although I have not taken so many pictures this past two days, I have read countless fascinating tutorials and articles on Clickin Moms. I love the app and have been glued to it during my train journey's to and from London. I feel like I am learning so much from these wonderful women and it is such a supportive community. I love that most of what I read is starting to sound familiar now and that the problems I encounter, such as blown out skies, are indeed tricky problems that even experienced photographers struggle with. 

Of all the things I have learnt so far, I think that the whole concept of white balance has blown me away the most. I could never understand why the colours in my photos were so funky before. I thought that shooting in low light was pretty much impossible, especially if you disliked the look that a flash gives. 

I took these photos in very low light. I was forced into the settings because there was so little wiggle room. The first one of Bear was taken with the grey card and the three of Rexy with the white card (just because it was close to hand). This brilliant article compares different methods for setting white balance. An Expodisc is no. 1 on my wish list. I am not saying that these images are perfect by any means, but they are way better than before. 

f/1.8; 1/80; ISO 3200
f/1.8; 1/125; ISO 3200
 
f/1.8; 1/125; ISO 3200

f/1.8; 1/125; ISO 3200
I also loved this video tutorial  on how to correct white balance in Lightroom. I am so getting Lightroom!

Comments