Skip to main content

Days 109-111/365: Making Use of Photoshop Tutorials

I have not been using Photoshop so much this past few weeks because things have been busy and I have lacked that creative drive. I have spoken of my love of Digital Photo magazine before. Apart from having great articles it comes with a disc full of tutorials every month. This month's magazine gave me the push that I needed to get back into Photoshop. 

Day 109 - I was keen to try out the sort of high key tone image that is popular with family photography studios at the moment. The tutorial promised that it could be achieved in less than 60 seconds. When it comes to personal style I find myself swaying towards extreme high key tone and very dark and moody shots. I am undecided about which suits my style best. I took a series of well lit, white background shots of Bear reading. The first two images are my usual Lightroom editing style. The last one is the 60 second Photoshop one. I really like it and can imagine it blown up on our walls. It really was very easy to do and I can agree that it took less than 60 seconds. I am thinking that it would work better with some shots than others though. 




Day 110 - After this initial success I wanted to push myself a little further. I am very keen to get into full on creative composites in Photoshop. This is a huge daunting area full of creativity and skill. I used one of my willing subjects - a doll -  and followed one of the tutorials step by painstaking step. It wasn't easy but it was manageable, so long as I kept pausing and rewinding the tutorial. I would have to follow it step by step if I did it again, but I certainly learned a few things. 

I am pleased with the end result. It is a huge step in the right direction for me.  


Day 111 -  It was mostly back to busy family life today, which left me with much less time to faff around with Photoshop. Roo had a friend over to play, so the rest of us kept busy with some drawing, painting and playing with kinetic sand. That stuff is so weird!





As we approached bedtime, I couldn't resist having another play with Photoshop so I tried a technique that I have been interested in for some time. This was pretty tricky and the end result is far from perfect. I will need to try it again when I have more time on my hands. I am pleased with it as a first attempt though and I love how the colours and background came out. 



We are hitting the road tomorrow to meet up with my husband's family for the weekend. We are all very excited and I am hoping to get lots of great outdoor photos. 




Comments