Skip to main content

BCUK 2017



I have been super busy with house renovations and various family related matters which has meant that I haven't been able to spend any time on my dolls lately. In fact, they have all been packed away in boxes for the past couple of months to protect them from the judgemental eyes of the many workmen who have flooded my house. Given that I have felt pretty disconnected from my doll hobby this year, I felt unsure about making a big trip to Liverpool to attend this year's Blythe Con UK. I have enjoyed this event in the past and in the end I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get away from my normal routine, fill my eyes with cute dolls, feel inspired by the creativity of others and touch base with other people who "get" the whole doll obsession. 




I rarely meet people who share this obsession that I have. I was so excited about attending BCUK this year that I mentioned it to a fellow mum at Bear's school. Her shocked, semi amused, bewildered expression reminded me why it really is best not to mention it to anyone... ever! People just don't understand it and I suspect that they think that I am crazy. Usually people comment that they find the dolls scary. To me they are just exceptionally cute. I think that I get the same squishy feeling inside that others get when they see a really cute puppy or kitten. 


So, off I went to BCUK in Liverpool. I rather enjoyed the long journey. It was nice to spend that time on my own. I also really liked Liverpool and would happily have spent more time exploring the city. It feels so different to London and probably more similar to Dubin. I wish that I had time to take some pictures. 


There were so many amazing dolls at the event. The thing to remember here is that all of these dolls are one of a kind. They have all been customised from a basic base Blythe doll. Their hair and eyes have been swapped out and their faces carved out by hand. It is incredible and the end result is a doll with it's own unique look and persona. Some of them, like the one below, are almost like celebreties in the doll community.


All of the clothes are hand sewn too and BCUK is the perfect opportunity to buy some clothes and meet the designers in person. 






This is not a Blythe doll but I would absolutely love to have her. I am in love with her face.



Getting decent photos is pretty challenging because of the lighting and cluttered backgrounds. I sort of enjoy this kind of challenge... but I often feel rather frustrated. It is at times like this that I see how much I still have to learn.















































Of course meeting up with other collectors is a big part of BCUK. The hobby attracts the most amazingly creative people. I still don't consider myself to be a particularly creative person so I find it fascinating to be around them all. They are really cool!


















This is my friend Laura. She takes the most amazing doll photos and her eye for detail and colour is phenomenal. I wish that I could sit around chatting with her about dolls and photography so much more often. 


Fingers crossed I will be able to make it to BCUK 2018 and that I will be able to indulge more in the hobby by then. A new doll or two might be nice...







Comments